Friday, September 19, 2014

Daily Life - The Clinic - What's on the Horizon

Fri 9/5 - Afternoon/Evening: Mavis stopped by to have me sample an English sweet cake she made in the microwave – it was good! She told me that she learned years ago when she worked with the younger children the second reason parents don’t name their babies for months or even years (the 1st being the high infant mortality rate): “The spirits” will learn the name  then be able to call the baby/child & possess them.  People visiting moms & newborns will often comment how ugly the baby is, to deter “the spirits” from being interested.  It’s sad just how much in bondage people can be due to superstition & witchcraft, in contrast how blessed we are that Christ set us free we are free indeed (John 8:36)!

I walked down to visit with Nanna & Allyson between downpours of rain. Nanna & I discussed all the plant & herbal remedies she grows in her garden. She didn’t know if Milk Thistle will grow here, so we’re going to give it a try in her garden when I return, as well as ginger & lavender. The house next to hers is empty, which will be ideal to share a garden  hang out with her to absorb some of her vast knowledge, but it’s big for just me,  not in an ideal location for water (end of the line) or flies (next to the cows).  I spent most all day in the Word since it’s rained all day, & I’m really glad. I love how His Word gets in me, into every fiber of my being,  is able to refine me – all of me, heart, spirit, soul, mind & body.


Sewing Clinic Curtains



Picking Covia (collard greens) & cabbage
Saturday 9/6  - I sewed more clinic curtains, then went with Daniel & Jacinta Bell to pick lemons & grapefruits,  get some veggies from the garden for Mavis & me. The orchard Daniel showed me is so completely overgrown with forest/jungle that you can’t see the fruit trees, so you have to spot the fruit amongst all the thicket, vines & brambles; most people didn’t know it was there. He & his workers have been using machetes to cut into the orchard to harvest the fruit. Daniel commented how ironic it is that local people have been starving for years during the annual 2 months of “hunger season” (dry season between Fall/Winter harvest & rainy season for Summer harvest), but at the same time the orchard trees are so heavy with fruit that tons of it lay on the ground rotting.


Fryer Chris (Catholic Mission where
Steph gets chicken feed) & Daniel Bell 

I’ve learned that Squash greens make excellent salad, but you have to be careful when you clean, chew & swallow it because its thistles prick you if you go against the grain!  I bought a liter of milk from Jacq & Guido (they manage Maforga’s cows) – fresh raw cow milk, Yum! I said goodbye to Farai Tanis who leaves tomorrow morning to return to boarding school in S Africa.  I had a meeting with Nanna & Allyson @ 4 to discuss Nanna’s care with Sarah Tanis, Jacq, Stephanie & I – Allyson leaves Monday to return home. Now that I’ve been here a month, we’re transitioning from Winter to Spring; I was puzzled that the days are not getting longer. I found out that Moz’s days only range 1hr in the AM & 45min in the PM all year long! Everyone here gets up 4-5 AM and goes to bed around 8pm.  I must admit I’m still struggling with it since I’m a night owl.

 Sunday 9/7 - Church worship was awesome! The Lord poured out so much joy into everyone’s hearts this AM that everyone broke out in dancing.  Worship continued for over an hour!

Cleaning & Re-Grouting Bathroom Tile in Clinic
Mon 9/8 - Allyson left this AM.  I worked on removing stains & re-grouted the tile in the clinic bathroom/shower. I visited with Nanna in the evening; she’s having a good day today & says she doesn’t need help into bed tonight.  Roy & Trish were on their way back home, but have been turned away at the Zim border since they wouldn’t pay the $200 USD bribe, so they are now back-tracking & will come up thru Maputo.

Tues 9/9  - Prayer at 6 AM – the Lord has shown me Isaiah 58. I know I’m supposed to return to Maforga, but still not sure when. I’m seeking Him for clarification of getting my language skills, bible college, tropical medicine & skin diseases courses in the US before I return and/or here in Moz or Zim or SA. Please pray that I have discernment on how to proceed. I still have not found a place to live, but I know He will provide that for me at the perfect time. I worked on the clinic bathroom.  I also looked at the Shalom house  for when Neal leaves in December.

Wed 9/10  - Steph & I will start interviewing Nanna a few days per week starting next week – she has decades of experience nursing at the clinic in this culture. Steph talked to her today;  Nanna’s primary concern is spiritual protection – she said people with dark spirits in or around them frequented the clinic when she ran it  so she was always on guard spiritually. One of her go-to scriptures was “Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.” Praise the Lord we have the Armor of God; we just have to purposefully put it on every single day, check it often for chinks!

Clinic - Before and After


August 2014

September 2014

September, 2014

Roy & Trish returned last night. Roy picked up my 2 new roommates in Beira today & arrived this evening; Sarah-Michelle & Joanna, from Canada. They’re here for 3 months to work with the 6-18 yo girls that stay at Trish’s house. We had dinner together tonight with Trish; they are very sweet and one wants to go to nursing school so we have much in common. Steph’s truck is done so Roy is taking us to the Zimbabwe border tomorrow morning, then we’ll bus up to Harrare to pick up her truck. We had entertained the idea all week of going to Victoria Falls while in Zim for Steph’s birthday. All day yesterday I didn’t have peace about it so I went to discuss it with Steph this AM. Before I could say anything, she said she didn’t want to disappoint me, but she didn’t have peace about going to Victoria Falls. PTL for confirmation! I told her I didn’t want to disappoint her either, especially for her b-day, but I didn’t have any peace either!

No comments:

Post a Comment