Wednesday, September 18, 2019

SHERI GRAHAM, MISSIONARY TO MOZAMBIQUE   UPDATE:    AUGUST 31, 2019

The Miracle of a DIRE
At the right time, I, the LORD, will make it happen. Isaiah 60:22
102 days. That’s how long I’ve been battling the confusion and corruption of Immigration so I can stay in Mozambique. It started on May 20, 2019 when I went to renew my DIRE (Resident Visa). It’s too long of a story to tell it here. But believe me when I say, it has been an unbelievably ridiculous and miraculous journey, filled with exasperating let-downs and exhilarating grace. The whole journey came down to one thing: walking out the unwavering faith that I claim to have in my God, while waiting on Him to work a jaw-dropping, praise-worthy conclusion. I will try to keep the story as short as possible; but know that I’m omitting so many incidences of obstacles and victories along the way, from changing amounts to be paid, to crashing computer systems, and so much in between that you couldn’t even make up. May 2018, having moved from Maforga to Iris, I tried to transfer my DIRE. That was denied; DIREs were no longer transferable. I had to renew my DIRE with Maforga. May 2019, with my Mozambique Nursing License and Iris Clinic Visa still being worked out, I tried to renew my DIRE one last time with Maforga. That was denied when the government couldn’t find their own document of my renewal from last year. My last option was to obtain an Iris Church Visa, so the process was started. Every week, and sometimes every day, alternated between assurances of “All is good” and I’d have my legal status renewed “tomorrow,” and then told “It’s not good.” The final word on Sunday Aug-25 was “It’s impossible.” I would have to leave the country, pay a huge fine for staying without legal status, be red-flagged as illegal, and jeopardize my future return to Moz to continue my ministry. On Monday, we (Iris leaders and me) appealed to God and Immigration one final time for mercy. On Wednesday Aug-28, I walked out of Immigration with an Iris Church DIRE! A true miracle of God! And God had worked it out 15 months ago, when I obtained the Transfer Letter from Maforga to Iris. What an incredible God! Talk about needing to be patient and wait on God while He works out His purposes in His time! Sure, I had some low moments of frustration, when I wondered if God was trying to tell me that my service in Moz had come to its end. But in my heart I knew that to be untrue. V. Raymond Edman said, “Never doubt in the dark what God told you in the light.” God’s thoughts and ways are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9), and many times don’t make sense in the temporal that we see. Rick Warren says, “This trust in God’s Word caused Job to remain faithful even though nothing made sense.” One thing I’ve learned is this: if He has called you to something, has put a desire in your heart, you should do everything you know to do to see it through. He gives us the strength, the endurance, the faith, and the grace to see it through – if we choose to embrace it and persevere. And what choice did I have? To give up and surrender to a half-fulfilled life? No way! Many of his disciples said, “This is very hard to understand. How can anyone accept it?”…At this point many of his disciples turned away and deserted him. Then Jesus turned to the Twelve and asked, “Are you also going to leave?” Simon Peter replied, “Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God.” Then Jesus said, “I chose the twelve of you…” John 6:60, 66-70.

In The Meantime…
Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. Hebrews 13:15-16.

Pastor Moiani has his own church outside Zimpeto, and teaches at Iris Bible School. He also translates at our Staff Meeting and Home Church, since our missionary group is ½ English-speaking and ½ Brazilian-Portuguese. He was really interested one night in my teaching on 2 Samuel 20. This was the start of our friendship, and now we share our own Bible studies with each other, curious where understanding and application differ in our cultures, and at what points they are the same. Recently I shared 3 Hebrew-for-Christians type of websites with him. He’s excited to be studying how our Christian roots are in Judaism, and how Hebrew provides deeper understanding of scripture. He passes this knowledge on to his church and the Bible School students. It’s a lot of fun to share our similarities, our differences, and our excitement with each other.
Home Church. Pastor Moiani & I, right.

I’ve made 2 new friends at church. Lila’s Mom attends church every Sunday and allows her to play with me while she dances and worships. Anacio’s parents don’t attend church, so he comes by himself with 2 other boys that live in his neighborhood. This is common since afterwards, we feed lunch to everyone who attends, so many poor parents send their hungry children to church so they can have a 3rd daily meal (or even just a 2nd meal if they’re really poor and only eat one meal a day). Anacio has become dear to my heart. He sits next to me, and follows the preacher using the Portuguese side of my Portuguese-English Bible. He’s young enough to leave after worship to attend Children’s Church, but he prefers to read my Bible along side of me.
 
August is the windy month in Mozambique. It has been very windy almost every day. We hope it will blow in the rainy season soon. We haven’t had rain since March, and one of our wells recently ran dry; we’re currently on water restrictions. But the windy season has ushered in hand-made kite fun!
  
I continue caring for Iris children who have HIV or other chronic diseases, skin and wound issues, and assist the clinic nurses. With 250 children living on the Center, 1600 school children on site, 180 workers, and 2 community days, there’s lots of work for a staff of 3 clinic nurses. I also do administrative duties and manage emergencies. Peiter graduated his 2nd level nursing this month, so he’s now an equivalent to a Bachelor Degree Nurse. We celebrated his accomplishment along with Kathy’s birthday (Peiter in pix on left).
 
I resumed over-seeing the Milk Program, with Natalie back in the USA. I’m required to write reports of the Program’s progress. Three cases made notable impacts on me and others who read the reports. I share them as addendums to this Update, so you can read and join in on the rejoicing and Godly praise!


Going Back To America

I’m going back to USA for a family gathering in the Mid-West, and to obtain more documents for my Mozambican Nursing License. I had obtained State-authenticated Nursing School and License documents, per the Requirement List at Mozambique’s Ministry of Education. This is the final step for my Equivalencia. However, the Ministry of Ed now tells me I need the US Embassy in Maputo to stamp the documents, but the US Embassy doesn’t stamp State docs.  My process is now stuck between the two. It’s frustrating, but just one more example of the challenges we face living cross-culturally. Please pray that I’ll be able to obtain Federal Apostilles for my State documents, and that the Ministry of Education will accept them this time.
  Please also continue covering Iris Zimpeto with your prayers. In my absence, the team is down to 8 missionaries. We should have 20-30. They will need to rely on God and each other now more than ever. Also keep my roommate Brandi in your prayers. We are each other’s rock for daily talks, prayers, and encouragement through difficulties, reminders for self-care, and help to re-direct focus back to God’s grace. God has truly blessed me with such a beautiful roommate. While in the USA, I have family and church family to talk to and help keep me grounded. Brandi remains in the compound with 6 other missionaries that are spread thin. May the next few weeks cause them to grow even closer together, becoming even more unified in One Spirit, thus increasing their strength exponentially, all to God’s glory!


Amen. Even so, come Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment