Monday, January 2, 2017

Update Christmas 2016



Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Jesus gave us rain for Christmas! I’ve been telling the girls who’ve been coming to my house for washing & cooking water the last 2 days, to pray for rain to refill the rain-catch tanks.
It started raining just after midnight Christmas Day. I was awakened by a really loud clap of thunder; the 2nd concussive clap accompanied explosive lightning. I started unplugging everything & noticed that the lightning was so close that it had tripped my Earth-leak breaker!  I realigned my front rain-catch tank to a better position under the gutter, then laid in bed, watching the lightning show.  1 hour later, I realized the sound of the water filling my front tank had changed pitch. I walked out to a flooded veranda and water starting to enter my house through the front door! The water tank has 2 holes – 1 at the top for inlet & 1 at the bottom for outlet. I hadn’t taken the time yet to buy & install a plug for the top hole; I didn’t think the 1,000 liter tank would fill to capacity that quickly, but this was a deluge. I wanted the outlet to be on my veranda so I could easily access the water, and now the tank was full & impossibly heavy to turn. So I spent the next 30 minutes filling 3 garbage cans with the water pouring out of the top spout, while I fashioned a piece of pipe & 2 elbows to channel the top hole over the side of the veranda. Praise God the materials were readily available with the clinic storeroom and rain-gutter construction going on! I thanked God for the rain and for the nearby materials, and asked Him to please protect my house from flooding & minimize the damage to the veranda concrete floor.  In the morning, all 3 rain tanks were full – my front 1, my back 10,000 liter tank, and the clinic’s 2,500 tank. Thank You Jesus! We had been more than a week without substantial rain to fill the tanks. I’ve had Maforga workers and girls coming to my house daily for water. I always try to keep several 20-liter jugs of water at my house for my work at the clinic, and the workers doing the masonry & cement work on the clinic plus their drinking & cooking water. Plus I like to have water for the kids walking past my house on the hot days. So word hasn’t gotten out that I almost always have water & many show up. Next week I’ll have to repair the erosion in the concrete floor caused by the downspout.

The nearby clinics have been closed for the holiday, so I’ve been pretty busy Saturday & Sunday. Mostly Malaria. I was too tired to join the boys Sat night to watch the new Jungle Book movie. I missed Sunday breakfast with the girls because the clinic was busy. The generator had run that morning, so my computer and Wifi were charged; since church was supposedly canceled in lieu of small group worship, I started listening to Pastor Rick’s last 2 sermons just before 10am. I finished at 11:45am, unplugged my earphones, and heard Roy’s voice at the church, followed by singing. There was church after all, although the Chiqueda side didn’t attend since they were doing their own worship service. I haven’t seen Roy since to apologize for not attending, but I’m sure glad I had the time to listen to Rick’s teaching – Wow! I can’t wait to hear the Christmas message when it’s posted on the website!

After listening to Rick’s teachings, I cleaned inside & outside the house, which were a muddy mess from the deluge that lasted until daybreak. Praise God for sending the rain that night! The Christmas Dinner at Chiqueda would have been difficult in the rain, no less a deluge. Coffee, tea & cake for adults and games for younger children started at 4pm. Dinner of stewed lamb, rice, coleslaw & potatoes was served at 6pm – all cooked and served by the boys with the help of Sarah Tanis & daughter Farai. Then the kids’ talent show started at 7pm. There were several groups & 1 solo singing, 1 skit, and 2 dance-offs. My favorite are the dance-offs – wow can these boys dance! I wish I could video it, but my camera doesn’t record in low light. We finished at 8:45pm; the kids’ wanted to continue, but it was past us adults’ bedtime! Praise God for my new truck! Many of the girls had walked to Chiqueda when it was light, and Guido drove the young kids to the games. Guido & my truck were the only ones left there going back to Maforga, so we had just enough room for all 42 of them (Guido’s truck is a cattle truck, so he fits lots of them in the back)! It then started raining again around 11pm, but a soft rain. It’s still raining now.

I was going to join the Bells for Christmas Dinner Friday night, but Sarah couldn’t bring herself to butchering Chris D. They bought him before Thanksgiving and have been fattening him up since. She intentionally named him Christmas Dinner so she & her kids wouldn’t get attached…but it didn’t work.

We continue to be on generator a couple hours most mornings and nights. I haven’t had water at my house since I returned from Beira; I’m by myself down the hill, so the valve for my water-line is only partially open. The other 2 lines for the orphanage, the Big House, and the other missionaries’ homes are completely open, and with their large water consumption, there isn’t any getting to my house. But praise God that water is usually available at Chiqueda! It’s also easier to load & unload water jugs in my pickup truck rather than Steph’s SUV, so praise God again for my truck! And Chiqueda usually has electricity, so I charge my electronics and fetch water at the same time…plus sometimes spend an extra hour there to get some uninterrupted quiet time on my computer to get emailing done. It’s a bit frustrating trying to get computer stuff done at Maforga without electricity. I’m frequently interrupted, so my batteries don’t last with letting computer & Wifi stay on, or shutting them down & then having to power them up again. It will be so nice if and when we ever get the electricity hooked up again! I’m actually at Chiqueda now. The generator wasn’t on long enough this morning to get more than 50% charged. There was no one at the clinic, probably due to the rain, so I came over here to plug in.

My truck made it from Beira to Maforga on Mon, then 2 trips into Chimoio Tues, before needing its clutch-pad repaired. Roy had his workers drop the tranny, then he had the clutch-pad repaired in Chimoio , then he reinstalled it Friday. Praise God Steph’s truck is here, although I use it as little as possible. It’s really getting worn out – it’s an old model, and these Mozambican roads beat the vehicles to an early death. I’m really surprised her truck still runs, but praise God it does! I still have a little work to do on my truck that the Beira mechanic didn’t get to. I need to replace the rubber mounts on the bed – especially on these horrible roads. Plus it starts slow about ½ the time, despite new battery and good alternator; Guido knows a good auto electrician that is honest and reasonable. I also need to replace the tires very soon – it’s dangerous to have lean tires on these rough dirt roads, and the paved roads with potholes that can swallow a VW Bug! Plus Chimoio & Gondola streets always flood with rain – they’ve not engineered for drainage. I haven’t seen it yet, but the busiest street in Chimoio, where all the buses and taxis are, is frequently under 1 foot of water! The shops on that street have concrete walls about 18” high in their doorways, which you have to step over to enter, to keep the flood water out. Now that my truck is off the lift, when I get a chance when it’s not raining, I’ll send pix  – the pretty passenger side! The driver’s side is the repaired side, and thankfully; the back door doesn’t shut without a good slam, so it’s easy for me to check before I drive off or lock up.

I pray that your Christmas was a time filled with the Love and Joy of our Savior, Who came so that for the Joy set before Him, He would endure the cross. That’s a lot of love and joy!
I hope and pray that the New Year will usher in a time of peace and rest in Him for you, and that you grow ever closer to our Lord God, and to each other in love.
Thus says the Lord…
“Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert.”
-Isaiah 43:16, 18-19
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
With Love and Prayers,
Sheri
Jorge & Denis, building clinic outer storeroom

The Bell girls feeding Christmas Dinner. Yep, that's the goat's name!

No comments:

Post a Comment